film makeup artist courses
Makeup is an art followed by a great creative mind put to work to enhance the aesthetic beauty of a person. In the modern era, makeup artists are getting more recognized and valued throughout fashion and the entertainment industry. Hence, to all those budding makeup artists and enthusiasts, there has always been a question that might make them clueless – “How do I become a film makeup artist?” Though there are a lot of speculations surrounding this question, the only answer is to pursue film makeup artist courses!
Working as a film makeup artist enables you to collaborate with many big-name celebrities across the entertainment industry. You will be able to utilize your imagination to assist in creating and applying makeup, special effects makeup, and other methods of modifying a performer’s appearance to a specified look of the desired character. You may take various courses to become a professional film makeup artist. This article will explain and analyze the different film makeup artist courses that will significantly enhance and improve your creative skills.
What are the various film makeup artist courses that are available?
Before we dive into the different available courses, it is crucial to choose the right school or academy that has a credible reputation among the masses. Hence, Do complete research about the specific academy or school before enrolling yourself! Without further ado, here are the different film makeup artist courses that are available.
1. Master Makeup Artistry: Master Makeup Artistry is the fundamental core subject that teaches not only the basics, but also the advanced techniques involved in professional makeup. Hence, this course is split into two parts:
- Foundational makeup artistry: Foundational makeup artistry is regarded as the “first half” of the master makeup artistry course. In this phase, students learn the basics of makeup and its applications. Some of the curriculum include Introduction to professional makeup artistry, a guide to skin preparation, and an in-depth analysis of makeup applications.
- Exclusive master makeup: This is the second half of the master makeup artistry course. In this course, students are exposed to the nukes and corners of advanced techniques used by professional makeup artists. The curriculum includes bridal and celebrity-inspired makeup techniques, advanced makeup artistry techniques, an in-depth guide on makeup for the entertainment industry, and makeup business training.
Master makeup artistry is the fundamental course in the cluster of film makeup artist courses. Let us look at some of the other additional courses that can significantly enhance the skill levels.
2. Global beauty workshop: The global beauty workshop is designed basically to advance the makeup skills learned in this course. Thus, this course enables students to understand the various techniques for a broader range of skin tones.
This course also touches on the uniqueness of different makeup techniques used across various cultural and religious traditions. The curriculum of the global beauty workshop includes working with multiple skin tones, understanding golden skin tones and east Asian models. Also, this course includes understanding medium and Olive skin tones, and an in-depth guide on working with Henna.
3. Special FX makeup: Many of us look to expand their skills and become competitive makeup artists. Adding a special FX makeup course along with the other courses on your bucket list can do wonders. Special FX makeup is an add-on course along with the fundamental master makeup artistry course.
This course specializes in understanding age characters, creating realistic wounds and injuries, and specializing in prosthetic makeup. Special FX makeup course also enables students to launch their own successful makeup artistry business. The curriculum of this course includes the fundamentals of special FX makeup and various hair techniques. Also, it includes incorporating special FX makeup for trauma, and working with prosthetic blood.
4. Hairstyling essentials: Like the master makeup artistry course, hairstyling essentials is also an essential course. This is specially true if you dream of becoming a professional film makeup artist.
The hairstyling essentials course helps students understand and have an in-depth practical experience of different hairstyles like braids, blow-outs, updos, and period looks. The skills and training students receive in the hairstyling essentials course serve a great purpose on their path towards working in films, television, and photography sets.
The curriculum to hairstyling essentials course includes an in-depth introduction to hairstyling, foundational styling techniques, modern hairstyling techniques, understanding periodic hairstyles, and the fundamentals of starting a hairstyling business.
Though all the above-mentioned mandatory film makeup artist courses can shape your knowledge and skills to become a professional film makeup artist, other factors are also important. It is critical to follow the state criteria to work if you want to become a licensed film makeup artist. Some jurisdictions require you to obtain a license as a cosmetologist, which may necessitate a 1,500- to 2,000-hour training course. Other states demand a makeup artist-specific license and a training curriculum that can run between 300 and 600 hours. Through vocational academies or institutions, you can finish a state-required training program. There are typically two levels of certifications.
- Certified makeup artist: To obtain this certification, you must complete a cosmetics application course.
- Licensed makeup artist: Licensed makeup artists have met a state licensing requirement, including passing a written test. A licensed makeup artist is not the same as a licensed cosmetologist, who has passed licensing requirements and undergone more comprehensive training on a wide range of beauty themes other than the application.
Becoming a film makeup artist is not a cakewalk. You need skills, commitment, and the involvement to learn more and more techniques to keep your skills up-to-date. If you think you have what it takes, make sure you enthusiastically participate in various film makeup artists courses. Our platform offers many such film makeup courses. Enroll in one of these now to better your chance of becoming a professional makeup artist.